Celebrate the Orange Public Library & History Center’s 10th Anniversary!

The tenth anniversary of the opening of the renovated and expanded Orange Public Library & History Center will be celebrated this year. Dedicated on April 21, 2007, the new library building marked a continued commitment to serving the community. The anniversary will be celebrated by looking back through the decades of Library history.

First established as the Orange Public Library Association in 1885, the Library consisted of 300 volumes donated by Robert E. Tener, then Orange Postmaster. The collection was housed at the Orange Hotel located in the plaza. With the popularity of the Library, the growing collection of the Library Association was donated to the City and the Orange Free Library was established in 1894. In 1905 construction began on a Carnegie library building, which opened to serve the community in 1908.

A library building has continued to reside at the same location, East Chapman Avenue, since then. While remaining in the same location, the Library has undergone a variety of changes over the years. The Carnegie library building was replaced by a larger, more modern building in 1961. It then underwent extensive renovation and remodeling in 1999. These changes in the building reflected the growing needs of the Orange community. Shortly after the 1999 remodel, the library obtained a $9.13 million Library Bond Act for a new library project. The new Spanish Colonial Revival building was opened in 2007.

Visit the library throughout the year to celebrate the ten years of the new library building and library history through the decades. To commemorate the opening of the renovated and expanded Orange Public Library & History Center in 2007, we will present an anniversary event on Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 12:00 to 4:00 PM. The public is invited to be a part of the celebratory open house, with a photo booth, life-size Candyland in the Children’s Courtyard, and much more!

Speak Your Mind